After a drug addict (Dee Freeman) brings in an audio tape she found on which a fatal shooting is heard, Lilly reopens a 1973 murder case involving the death of a 21-year-old rookie cop (Cory Hardrict). The young officer was shot three times in the chest while responding to a call at a drug-infested housing project. Also on the tape are the victim's final words: "Runner! Runner! Runner!"
- Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush
- John Finn as John Stillman
- Jeremy Ratchford as Nick Vera
- Thom Barry as Will Jeffries
- Steve Ryan as Butch Rinaldi (2003)
- Dee Freeman as Samantha Robbins (2003)
- Cory C. Hardrict as Joe Washington
- Barbara Eve Harris as Diane Washington (2003)
- Rif Hutton as Mason "Runner" Tucker (2003)
- Marlene Warfield as Samuela Robbins
- William Stanford Davis as DeAnte Rollins (2003)
- Aldis Hodge as Mason "Runner" Tucker (1970, 1973)
- Sheila Jerome as Diane Washington (1973)
- C.J. Jones as Junkie
- Tianna Danielle Kenney as Samantha Robbins (1970, 1973)
- Cheselka Leigh as Jessica
- Ophelia Turner as Gloria Munez (2003)
- Matt Bushell as Butch Rinaldi (1973)
- Ryun Yu as Ray Chan
- C. Stephen Browder as DeAnte Rollins (1973)
- Unknown actress as Gloria Munez (1973)
- This episode is loosely based on the 1981 murder of police officer Daniel Faulkner. Mumia Abu-Jamal was convicted of this crime and sentenced to death row.
- Gladys Knight & The Pips "Midnight Train to Georgia"
- Kool & the Gang "Jungle Boogie"
- Barry White "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Baby"
- Al Green "Let's Stay Together"
- Sly & the Family Stone "If You Want Me to Stay"
- Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today"
- Stevie Wonder "You Are the Sunshine of My Life"
- Closing Song: Bill Withers "Lean On Me"