When human remains are found outside a former state prison, the team re-opens the 1968 case of a dead inmate, murdered on the night Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Concert was broadcast to prisons throughout the country. However, when it's revealed that the bones don't belong to the person everyone had assumed, the team must start the probe anew by first identifying who the victim was.
- Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush
- Danny Pino as Scotty Valens
- John Finn as John Stillman
- Jeremy Ratchford as Nick Vera
- Thom Barry as Will Jeffries
- Seamus Dever as Hank Dempsey (1965/1967/1968)
- Dick Bakalyan as Wendall Foyt (2004)
- Blake Clark as Mike Jaden (2004)
- George Gerdes as Warden Bryce Wilbur (2004)
- Fiona Gubelmann as Bobbi Banks (1967/1968)
- Roxanne Hart as Bobbi Olsen (2004)
- Pat Healy as Warden Bryce Wilbur (1965/1967/1968)
- Chad Lindberg as Johnny Harkin
- Gail Bearden as Claudia Valez (2004)
- Travis Clark as Mike Jaden (1965/1967/1968)
- Matt DeCaro as Hank Dempsey (2004) ("Lyle Olsen")
- John Griffin as Wendall Foyt (1967)
- Meeghan Holaway as Claudia Valez (1967/1968)
- Ray Stoney as James Hill (1967/1968)
- Lilly first mentions her old flame Ray Williams, though not by name.
- The first episode featuring songs by only one artist, rather than many artists from the same era.
- Blake Clark and Travis Clark - the actors playing older and younger Mike Jaden - are real-life father and son.
All songs are performed by Johnny Cash.
- "Folsom Prison Blues"
- "Orange Blossom Special"
- "I Got Stripes"
- "Dirty Old Egg-Sucking Dog"
- "Cocaine Blues"
- "Ring of Fire"
- "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"
- "Give My Love to Rose"
- Closing Song: "Flesh and Blood"