As the team intensifies their quest to find the person behind the 2005 murder of eighteen year old cadet Kate Butler, Rush relives painful memories of when she forged her own difficult path as the first female homicide detective in the Philadelphia Police Department.
In the conclusion of the two-part finale, Rush manages to get out of the car before she drowns and finds herself in a hospital. Though she may have a concussion, she returns to the office. She and Valens return to the military school to arrest their main suspect in the 2005 murder of the first female cadet at an all-male military college, however, they find him hanging from a bannister in Kate’s room and a clue at the scene tells our cops that it’s murder, not suicide.
They begin their investigation of the case anew, to discover the actual murderer and his accomplice, who was determined to protect the institution. Interspersed with case flash backs are flashback’s of Rush’s life, including the first time she met Stillman (as a child), as well as steps to her becoming the first female homicide detective in Philadelphia.
- Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush
- Danny Pino as Scotty Valens
- John Finn as John Stillman
- Jeremy Ratchford as Nick Vera
- Thom Barry as Will Jeffries
- Tracie Thoms as Kat Miller
- Michael Ironside as Commandant Murillo
- Jesse Plemons as Ryan Stewart
- Daniel Baldwin as Moe Kitchener
- Brant Cotton as Paul Cooper (1976)
- Maddy Curley as Kate Butler
- Jake McLaughlin as James Addison
- Joe Penny as Hank Butler
- Jessica Tuck as Charlotte Butler
- Dennis Hill as Keith Henderson
- Jason Thomas as Lawrence Gardner
- Makenna Barrett as Lilly Rush (Age 6)
- Megan Helin as Lilly Rush (Age 10)
- Anthony John Crane as John Stillman (1980)
- Kinsey McLean as Cop (1980)
- Keith Pillow as E.R. Doctor
- Part 2 of the first ever two-part episode on the series.
- Anthony John Crane reprises his role as the younger version of Stillman from "Glued", though his voice is dubbed by John Finn.
- Makenna Barrett, who plays Lilly at age six, is the daughter of Kathryn Morris's former real life boyfriend and former director on Cold Case; David Barrett
- First time one artist's music has been used for two full episodes.
All the songs in this episode are performed by Pearl Jam:
- Man of the Hour
- Given to Fly