The team reopens the 1963 case of a sixteen year old girl who was thought to have committed suicide when new evidence leads them to believe the girl might have been murdered for acting and dressing like a boy.
A teenage girl whose death was originally filed as a suicide in 1963 turns out to be a homicide when a witness steps forward to say she didn’t jump off the bridge as originally believed, but was thrown into the river. The witness was on the bridge that day and claims to have heard a car and then a splash witnessing the body float by him shortly after. As the investigation unravels it turns out the victim, Samantha "Sam" Randall was biologically a girl but liked to dress and look like a boy. Her struggle with her gender causes problems both in school and at home with her father, Archie who doesn’t know how to handle it. Sam must also deal with her growing feelings for a boy in school, Dom Barron, who despite her inability to act and look like a girl find himself having feelings for her. It all comes to a head when her father decides to commit her to an institution, where he thinks they can cure her of her confusion. Sam struggles against the treatment which involves electro shock treatment, but is forced to finally succumb putting her in an almost catatonic state. When Dom sneaks into the institution to try and rescue Sam he realizes, he is too late and the Sam he once knew was no longer there and he proceeds to smother her with a pillow and later dump her body into the river.
- Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush
- Danny Pino as Scotty Valens
- John Finn as John Stillman
- Jeremy Ratchford as Nick Vera
- Thom Barry as Will Jeffries
- Tracie Thoms as Kat Miller
- Linsey Godfrey as Samantha "Sam" Randall
- Lelia Goldoni as Nurse Polly Leonard (2007)
- Elisabeth Harnois as Janey Davis (1963)
- Wings Hauser as Red Buckley (2007)
- John Patrick Jordan as Red Buckley (1963)
- Jonathan Keltz as Dom Barron (1963)
- Michael Oberlander as Archie Randall (1963)
- Mark Rolston as Ari Gordon
- Jim Abele as School Principal (1963)
- Mina Badie as Nurse Polly Leonard (1963)
- Jack Donner as Maurice Habershaw (2007)
- Leigh Rose as Janey Davis (2007)
- This episode uses some elements from the 1999 film Boys Don't Cry and from the 1975 film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- The song "Walk Like a Man" by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons was also used in the episode "Strange Fruit," which also took place in 1963.
- The song "The End of the World" was also used as the closing song in the episode "Slipping," which took place in the previous year, 1962. However, the version used is that of Brenda Lee, who also sings the closing song in this episode.
- The Crystals "He's a Rebel"
- Dion "Runaround Sue"
- Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons "Walk Like a Man"
- Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons "Big Girls Don't Cry"
- The Miracles "You've Really Got a Hold On Me"
- Skeeter Davis "The End of the World"
- Closing Song: Brenda Lee "Everybody Loves Me But You"