The detective investigate the murder of notorious stick-up man Pete Doyle, who disappeared in 1997, after his severed hand is found in a drug dealer's freezer. They learn Pete, recently released from prison, had been making an earnest effort to make a fresh start, but was hindered by his old partner trying to get him back into the game, his son who was eager to follow in his footsteps, and harassment from the cop who arrested him. Working the case, the squad gets help from the slightly uncouth Narcotics Detective Eddie Saccardo, who wins over everyone, except Lilly.
- Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush
- Danny Pino as Scotty Valens
- John Finn as John Stillman
- Jeremy Ratchford as Nick Vera
- Thom Barry as Will Jeffries
- Tracie Thoms as Kat Miller
- John Pyper-Ferguson as Pete Doyle
- Gregory Mikurak as Pete Doyle, Jr. (1997)
- Rob Nagle as Bernie Murphy
- Joe Nieves as Manny Hernandez
- Gigi Rice as Jules Murphy
- Maury Sterling as Tommy Connell
- Paul Wesley as Pete Doyle, Jr. (2008)
- Everclear "Santa Monica"
- Freedy Johnson "Bad Reputation"
- Everclear "Everything to Everyone"
- Bush "Swallowed"
- Seven Mary Three "Cumbersome"
- Closing Song: Counting Crows "Recovering the Satellites"